You have to choose to participate in life.

The really scary thing is that you can start right now...



Thursday 16 May 2013

Isle of attraction


15th May 2013
Cape Bowling Green 19o 19.074S 147o 23.447E

Trolled all the way here today trying different lures to replace the one I lost to a sailfish. Did I tell you I lost lure number 1? Lure 2 only produced a spotted mackerel.

Cape Bowling Green  is as you would expect a cape that is flat.
 A Geezer on the bowling Green. 
I’ve only ever set one foot a bowling green before. 
I had to hold the motor bike up at the time. (RIP Kids)

   Sunset at Cape Bowling Green
Flat is unusual around here.  I’ve had to park about ½ a kilometer out and I’m still only in 2m of water at low tide.  It is neap tides and I’m only staying the night so it will be an adequate stop on the way to either Townsville or Magnetic Island.  Will make up my mind tomorrow when I get closer and get internet connection.  If Townsville has a shop that sells my favourite lure I’ll go in and get a couple.  Did I tell you I lost lure number 1?

I was going to hang around here as there are some promising mangroves on the other side of the bay that should produce a mud crab or two but, I’ve lost my favourite lure and have to find a shop to replace it. Did I tell you I lost lure number 1?

I’m not compulsive….

 

16th May 2013
Horse Shoe Bay - Magnetic Island 19o 6.627S 146o 51.402E

Well I lost another lure today.  The fish are getting bigger. Going to get some serious tackle in Cairns and be more cautious about tying knots. Never mind, I left a crab net hanging off the boat and caught some brunch.
Brunch

The wind was again from the wrong way today but luckily there wasn’t much of it.  I ended up motoring past Townsville.  If you look closely in the middle of this picture that is Townsville on the horizon. That’s Magnetic Island on the right.

  Wave to the Townsvillians!
(Well what else would they be called…)

The wind is blowing the wrong way for this anchorage but it should swing around tonight.  This is the first time I’ve actually felt the heat.  I even put both shade curtains up and contemplated having a swim to cool off.


The Army guys were doing some logistics training and came into the bay in their landing craft and rafted up.

 

If GK had still been here I wouldn’t have been able to stop him going over to say g’day and a look.

Went into the beach and have decided to take a day here while the wind makes up it’s mind.  There is a bus you can catch around the island.  If you think of Rotto I am at Jordie bay except, this is much nicer and has less people.  I often tell the locals they don’t realize how lucky they are to have such a usable coastline.
  Sunset at Horse Shoe Bay.
Just after sunset I had a front come over.  The wind is finally blowing the right way but howling in at over 30 knots and raining.  A real tropical squall.   I set up the hose from the cabin top and topped up the water tank in less than an hour.  I need the water as I need to do some washing.  I at first thought the smell was some crab bait but, it was my shirt!
After tomorrow I’ll be heading to Palm Islands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment