You have to choose to participate in life.

The really scary thing is that you can start right now...



Friday 24 May 2013

Intermission...


22th May 2013

Dunk Island 17o 56.398S 146o 8.174E

As you can tell the resort hasn’t been reopened since the cyclone the year before last.  There are some workers fixing up the jetty and they have kept an ablution block and bbq area open on the spit for campers and cruising boats.  A great guerilla marketing plan...
I had to motor all the way here and the wind is still on the nose until tomorrow afternoon.  Had a short walk to the other side of the island and have made some plans that don’t include going anywhere until the wind changes.
Some more different butterflys because you asked for it....

 
I need to get some pins and some cardboard...


And tonight’s dinner.  I’ll have to get a bigger pot as this one was too big to put fit in...
 ...in one piece.


23rd May 2013

North Barnard Islands 17o 40.393S 146o 10.608E
There was no wind at all this morning so I did my washing and then went for walk up to the top of the hill at Dunk island.

I had planned to catch up with another cruiser to learn how to dress coconuts and by the time I came back from my wander up the hill he had left some already cut up on my washing. I’ll need to get a machete.  Move over Charles Bronson.(Actually I’m pretty sure he’s moved on…)

The wind came in as predicted at midday so I had a good sail up here. First time in a while I haven’t had to use the motor at all today since Mackay.  The same is predicted for tomorrow so I should get a good straight through run to Fitzroy Island.  If I can maintain a decent speed like today I might even get to Cairns.
The anchorage here is a bit rolly but,  it is only an overnight stop. It is tucked away under the lighthouse with a nice beach sand spit that separates the two islands.  There are a few coral bommies here that were a bit difficult to see now that it’s become overcast. I would go fishing but I’ve broken the handle off my last reel. Bloody expensive these fish or perhaps I should buy some decent gear.

Just at sunset a 50+ft power cruiser came and anchored in front of me.  Didn't even wave.  Just sent one of his hired help to beach with his dog to have a crap. (the dog that is) He's very close and I hope he doesn't drag.(the boat that is)((You know what I mean))
24rd May 2013

Cairns 16o 47.104S 145o 42.987E
When I woke up this moorning I was a bit pissed that the cruiser has swung and was sitting right on top of my anchor.  It was 5am so I tied a fender on the bow and hauled up the chain. When I drove up on the anchor I gently nudged him away and finshed the retrieve.  No one stirred in the cruiser. I don't even think I woke them up. I thought at least the chef would have been preparing breakfast!

I had 15 to 20 knots of wind the whole way here today so I just kept on going.  Averaged  6 kots the whole day.  I should paint it Ferrari red.
I am now berthed at Half Moon Bay marina. Not without incident this time.... 
I broke the plastic top off the light stand that houses the power and water to the dock with the bow as I swung in.  I’ve fessed up and they didn’t seem too worried.  I’ll take a photo tomorrow when it’s light before they sticky tape it up.  It wasn’t as if someone died…

I’ll be here for just over a week as this is the last chance before Darwin to do the few things that need doing and to fully provision the boat for the next couple of months.

Intermission…

No comments:

Post a Comment