You have to choose to participate in life.

The really scary thing is that you can start right now...



Thursday 27 June 2013

Seisia


23th  June 2013

Margaret Bay – Cape Grenville  11o 57.225S 143o 11.583E

A reasonable sail up here.  I stayed on the outside of the channel to avoid the commercial shipping so that I could finish a book. Then I started a new one.  Going around Cape Granville there are the Home Islands group.  These have houses on them.  The photo is of the community that lives on Hicks Island which is the closest to the cape.

 
The group of people on there are called

.

.

.

.

.

Wait for it….

.

.

.

.

.

A bunch of…

.

.

.

.

.

.

…Hicks.

I was going to have a winge about the weather that I’ve had since Mackay but, the wind has been consistent and I don’t want to jinx it. I’ve actually been able to travel safely in the right direction which is the main thing.  However, I’m not superstitions, so…

I’m going to try to be kind and I’ve been to some beautiful places but, when I’ve got there it has usually been too overcast to enjoy it.  It has only been sunny enough to snorkel on two days out of the whole 14 weeks. Even allowing for half days it has been overcast more than 19 days out of every 20! 

Is this normal Queensland weather?  The locals I’ve talked all say that it is not. Or, is it a parochial attempt to hold up the sinking tourist industry?

I think I have finally figured out why they had to pay that girl on the advertisement so much to stand on that cay and say, “Where the bloody hell are you?” 

Is it because they had to wait three weeks to find a cloudless day to actually take the shot?

“Queensland - The sunshine state” number plates must have a sense of irony or, is it just wishful thinking? Did the marketing guru at the prison where they make these things have a room with windows?

“Queensland. Cloudy one day. Glum the next” - Just doesn’t have the same ring to it does it?

They should have buried Jo Bejlkie-Peterson face down. Perhaps the sun really did shine out of his…

I can smell a conspiracy…

 

There.

Rant over.            

I feel better now.

 

24th  June 2013

Escape River  10o 58.268S 142o 40.314E

Well that will teach me…

I left Margaret Bay at 5:00am so that I would get here at low incoming tide. 

Red sky at night, sailors delight.

Red sky at dawn, sailors be warned.

Gold sky at dawn??? Expect it to be bloody windy…

I was calculating based on a leisurely sail at 5 knots average speed.  The wind just blew and blew faster all day and I had to slow the boat down or, I would have got here too early… And then it started to rain.

I was still running down wind on just about bare poles and still couldn’t get my speed down below 4 knots. I had the motor on just ticking over to keep water directed over the rudder to give steerage.  At about 2:00pm I was almost level with the river entrance so I ended up heading back into the channel and pulled out the cutter and hove too.

I was still doing 2 knots downwind but at least the boat was settled even though every now and then it would drop off a steep 3 meter bit of slosh.  I took a couple of videos but as usual they don’t do the conditions justice and I look a little bit pissed off so I won’t bother to upload them. Highest wind gust was 42.6 knots – a new record.

The bow spit took a bit of a hammering and that will give me something to do tomorrow while I let this blow over.  I’m only a day away from the top and want to see if I can actually go around the cape with some semblance of sunshine. (I don’t learn do I?)

Anyway, after “messing around in a boat” for three hours I finally got through the entrance.  Actually there was plenty of water under the keel and I could have come in at least an hour earlier.  As I came in the pearl farm gave me a call on the radio and suggested a safe place to anchor.

This is the only safe stop on this stretch of coast for yachts.  I am the only boat here. Should this tell me something?

Dinner has been two Charisma specials and some cashews. Who needs sleeping pills?

Stuff it…

Here is a beautiful, isolated, coral surrounded, tropical cay.  Notice something missing?

The sun!!!

Have I told you that the weather has been crap?

25th  June 2013

Finally used my Cooktown drill bit and fixed the bow spit. I only lost one spanner in the drink.

It’s been drizzling most of the day but, I took Merv up the river for a troll and caught some bait.  I was sharing the banks with plenty of small crocks so I kept the throw net moving and didn’t hang around to do the Steve Irwin check for whether or not they were male or female.

26th June 2013

A couple of other yachts came in last night. One of them had a weather report so I stayed today here today and we went to meet the people at the pearl farm.
Rusty in his office

Rusty and Bronwyn are a real couple of characters.  When the bottom dropped out of the market they bought the farm five years ago.  Just the two of them and their two dogs run the place.  They took the afternoon off and showed us around and even gave us a cuppa and some home baked biscuits.  While we there the dogs cornered a boar on the other side of the island and finally came back just as we were leaving with some tusk wounds.  “She’ll be right. Happens all the time.”


Bronwyn showing us her pearly whites

Everyone from the yachts really appreciated having the day off.  There’s a Russian, Swiss, French and Australian boat here now so there were drinks on the sand bank with the crocks at sunset.

27th  June 2013

Seisia  10o 58.268S 142o 40.314E

An interesting day.  As I was nearing Albany passage the furler jammed on the genoa.  Luckily it was fairly easy to furl it manually although it now has the spare halyard jamming at the top at the mast.  It looks like I’ll have to go up the mast tomorrow and sort it out.

While this was going on the autopilot decided it was time to recalibrate and had a little hissy fit.  So I tied the wheel off and ran backwards and forwards getting the furler sorted.  Did I mention that before this all went on I’d put the kettle on to make a thermos… and then a mackerel took the spoon lure and tangled both lines!!!

It was an interesting half an hour before I finally got everything sorted out.  I was so busy that I missed even looking up to see the entrance to the Albany channel.

I finally managed to take a few photos of the other boats who went past me as I crawled along with just the main.



Boats lined up for Albany pass

I rigged the cutter and halved the main and the boat was eventually balanced. I was still doing over seven knots with the help of the current so I headed towards the cape.

All the other boats headed around York Island but I went through the straight between Cape York and York Island.  It’s about 60 meters wide and passes the lookout at the point.


These tourists standing at the top of Australia were about to get a treat.

I’ll be in a few strangers’ photo albums now…

If you think I would drop my pants and do a brown eye at them as I went past you don’t know me that well…

Well?

And here is the money shot…


“I’m the king of the castle and you’re all dirty rascals…”

By taking my shortcut  I caught up with the other boats as we went past Possession Island. This is where in 1770 Captain Chef claimed Australia and then buggered off back to England. “Mine! All mine!”


The last wave of the spatula.

I finally limped into Seisia just after 2:00pm.
Jib and half main. Still doing 6knots though - with help from the current.
 
Three of the four boats are doing repairs tomorrow.  Two of us have to go up the mast and I’m going to have a look at the French boat who has blown a gearbox. I don’t have phone service here, but I do have internet which is very strange.  I went in and got a phone card from the servo and called in at the public telephone box that works!  There’s two of them and they both work! Next --- world peace.   The only trouble is that I bought the last two phone cards in town. So I can make $10 worth of calls before I have to hitch a lift inland to the Bamaga Post Office which may have some more.

When we got back to the beach two 7 year old Aboriginal kids had taken off with the Swiss dinghy for a joyride. They’d left it a couple of hundred meters up the beach.  I don’t leave the key in Merv and none of the others had even locked their boats up…

Tonight was drinks on the yacht “Footloose”.  The owner even answers to Kevin (Bacon) now after knowing me for a week.  A bottle of small batch and a half bottle of white rum in a coconut were passed around to finish the day.

By the way, there was even a sunset tonight and you can actually see some stars in the almost clear sky.
 
28th June 2013
I went up the mast this morning just as the sun was coming up.
The view from the top complete with hanging camera strap.- Felini I am not.
Mast climbing is contagious...
Everybody's doing it now
I spent the rest of the day changing the impella on the outboard and taking in three lots of washing into town. I think the last couple of weeks finally caught up with me.  Slept about 16 hours straight and basically missed an afternoon and a night...


No comments:

Post a Comment